Singapore! The Starter Kit.
It's a big city on a small island that is a country, too.
Welcome to Singapore, this often glitzy, mostly shiny city of five million people at the very of the Malaysian peninsula.
As most Asian cities go, it is a wonderful place to live, work and play. And the numbers and polls continue to prove it.
Clean, Modern, Safe
city prides itself in being Asia's 'Switzerland' - hardly any
pollution, architecture from the world's big names, and almost none of
the usual petty crime found in many of Asia's megacities.
colorful mix of people from China, India and Malaysia. Mix in impressive
attractions and some of Asia's highlights just a short flight away and
you can easily spend 3 years here and wonder where your time went.
Warm Tropical Weather
we mention that the weather is warm all year around? The city is
pretty close to the equator. 30 degrees centigrade(86 Fahrenheit) most
days and hardly a day below 25 degrees (77 Fahrenheit).
by the way, would be us, a family of five and cat, living here for the
last three years now. We came with no experience in Asia and ended up
with no regrets.
Here for a Few Days?
Let us show you some of the very impressive must-see attractions like
- walking around Marina Bay
with its endless list of sights such as the 165-meter high Flyer, the
DNA Helix Bridge, the lotus-shaped ArtScience Museum and the Marina Bay
Sands complex with its already-famous infinity pool
- the famous Singapore Zoo and its white tigers along with its evil night time twin, the Night Safari
- the Raffles Hotel for a tasty Singapore Sling and where it all began at the Singapore River, the Historic District with party miles Clarke Quay, Robertson Quay and Boat Quay
- Fort Canning Park, the hill that tells it all, and interesting museums
- Shopping, shopping, shopping
- Sentosa Island, the city's island playground.
- the ethnic areas like Chinatown , colorful Little India and the earthy-chic Muslim-Malay Quarter.
- luxury, quirky and value hotels in Singapore
Here for a Bit Longer?
Here are some ideas for getting off the beaten track and seeing some of the quirkier things, like
Then you probably have questions about how to get yourself set up.Things like
Here are some pointers on
Finally, maybe you just want to find out about the country , Singaporeans and their fascinating history.
Enjoy! You may end up like many people - came for two years, stayed for twenty.
Eric, Mona, Bennet, Jonah and Henry
Singapore - from backwater village to global city in just a few decades.
- Singapore lies at the tip of the Malaysian peninsula and
offers a rich mix of cultures, business opportunities and a leisure
History of Singapore - Fishing Village Turns Powerhouse
Singaporeans have been measured and boxed: what are they really like, though?
- History of Singapore - the unparalleled rise of a backwater village to a global city.
Singlish no unnerstan? No problem. Sokay. Can osso English, lah.
- Singaporeans are like anybody else, but completely different. Let's meet some at the the virtual food court.
Top Seven Singapore Myths - debunked!
- Singlish - you just have to love a dialect so full of color and spice!
Singapore houses for rent - where to look, what to watch out for.
- Top Seven Singapore Myths - mostly wrong, sometimes true.
Utilities in Singapore - what to do and what to know to get connected.
- Singapore houses for rent: check these pointers to get an edge and peace of mind
Getting online in Singapore is easy - tips on the 3 providers & what they offer.
- Utilities in Singapore: set yourself up quickly and painlessly.
Banks in Singapore: getting an account, cash and credit cards
- Getting online in Singapore with one of three big providers for mobile, internet and TV - let me take you through the landscape.
Singapore international schools: let us guide you through the basics.
- Banks in Singapore: which ones to use, setting up your
personal finances, getting a credit card and painless ways to pay your
- Singapore international schools are aplenty in Singapore: we give you a brief guide on fees, locations and things to expect..
Getting around Singapore - can you do it without a car?
- Getting around Singapore: what are the options? Can you get by without a car? Find out here!
Ministry of Manpower: MoM decides the jobs and workpasses. Period.
- What you should know about working in
Singapore, the almighty Ministry of Manpower (MoM) and ideas about what
kind of skills and degrees Singapore is looking for.
Singapore Weather - Hot, Humid and When It Rains, It Pours....
Singapore hotels can be very pricey: a few tips on value for money.
- Singapore Weather - Get ready to get wet, but less often than you think.
Singapore Attractions - from classy views to henna tattoos.
- Singapore hotels have become pricey lately - here are some
local tips on where to stay in style and not need to go hungry because
you broke the bank..
Shopping in Singapore: no end of possibilities. Tips to not get lost.
- Singapore attractions - we give you some tips for things to see on and off the beaten track.
- Shopping in Singapore is a national sport. Read on to get an idea of basics, mainstream locations and some quirkier stores.
Singapore sightseeing: Haw Par Villa - Psychedelic Chinese Mythology
- Links to sites that are useful, interesting or just plain fun!
- Singapore sightseeing: Haw Par Villa - the gentlemen who
created Tiger Balm also created the weirdest collection of Chinese
mythological statues ever seen - oversized, colorful, and pretty bloody